WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO WHEN YOU START WORKING
Good day, my friend, and welcome to my blog.
If you are in your twenties, living in Malaysia, and about to begin your working life—or have already started—this blog post may be helpful to you.
My working life did not begin after I left secondary school at the age of 17. When I was 15, a neighbour once asked me to distribute leaflets door to door during the school holidays so I could earn some extra money.
If I am not mistaken, I was paid MYR8.00 for four hours of work. This was 41 years ago!
That was my first taste of earning money, and it felt liberating.
"If I worked, I wouldn't need to burden my parents by asking them for allowance," I thought to myself. Better still, I could buy whatever I needed whenever I wanted!
![]() |
| I believe this photo was taken when I was 16, that was 41 years ago! Loved playing the drums with our band. |
Of course, after Form 5, while waiting for my examination results, I immediately started working at A&W Restaurant. These restaurant chains loved hiring students who were waiting for their results.
My first salary was MYR380.00. Adjusted for inflation, that MYR380 salary in 1987 would be worth almost MYR1,000 today. (Yes—I used Google to work that out!)
Yes, we Malaysians are underpaid. Why is this so, many non-Malaysians might ask?
The recent Malaysian Budget also raised the national minimum wage to its highest level yet. If you're interested, you can read more here: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2026/10/09/budget-2027-minimum-wage-to-rise-to-rm2000-from-june-2027-says-anwar
How I wish this had happened during my time. But, of course, the cost of living has also risen drastically over the past 40 years.
I am grateful to have inherited old family cars when I started work at 21. But these cars were 20-years-old and needed a lot of money to repair. I was ignorant and should have dumped those cars to save thousands of Ringgit!
![]() |
| Cars need a lot of maintenance to run. I disposed of my 21-year-old Hyundai Matrix recently. Financial Freedom! |
Then there was the social scene. I guess it was only normal? Later, they called it “networking”.
Happy hours were something I always looked forward to. It helped me unwind—but it also encouraged me to spend more money than I should have.
The dating game appeared almost at the same time. More money was needed.
I discovered video games. I invested in that hobby.
I spent, even if I couldn’t afford it. The lesson? I spent years paying off credit card debt.
Looking back, I realised the financial system almost seemed designed that way. How would I have survived without owing the banks when I was broke? When I could not afford to pay for something essential, or not?
Like everyone else (almost!), we walk this life path that is strewn with trials and tribulations. Test after test until we are tamed.
So, what can young people do—or avoid doing—to cope with today's financial challenges?
Now, with AI, YouTube, and so many financial advice websites, we can learn an incredible amount online.
That said, make sure the websites you visit are run by qualified and legitimate experts, not fake or scam sites.
Always do your own research and check the background of anyone or anything you choose to follow or learn from.
Here are some tips and self-reflection questions based on my own financial mistakes, ignorance, and the lessons I learned the hard way:
Stop being influenced by social media about the lifestyle you should lead. Don't blindly follow the crowd in chasing luxury brands. Ask yourself: Were you born into an ultra-rich family?
Stop living with a fear of missing out (FOMO). Invest in experiences that nourish your soul, not experiences simply because they're trending.
Do I really need a car when there is ample public transport? If public transport is a practical option, consider adjusting your routine so you can take advantage of it. You'll probably save money, reduce stress, and even improve your health.
How much should I allocate each month for essential expenses? Yes, you can do this. Breaking down your monthly expenses increases your financial awareness and gives you a realistic long-term goal to work towards.
How do I create a monthly budget? There are countless tools available online, and even asking an AI platform a simple question can point you in the right direction. Better still, seek advice from qualified financial planners or wealth management professionals.
Do I need a side hustle to save for a house? Yes. Start investing in your future early, even if you are single. Property can be an excellent long-term investment that may eventually provide retirement income. Invest wisely for an uncertain future—or at the very least, leave something meaningful for the people you love.
How did my boss get to where they are today? Never be afraid to ask successful people for advice. Ask questions based on your goals and expectations, not on fantasies.
Cafés that are beyond my budget? Think about your bank account and your savings, not about impressing your "friends". Friends naturally come and go, but your financial decisions stay with you. If you truly enjoy coffee, treat yourself occasionally to a good artisan café where your money feels well spent.
Invest in bonds, unit trust funds, or other suitable long-term investments for 30 years or more. Do your research and invest through established institutions. Adapt as the world changes. You may thank yourself when you reach your mid-50s, especially if AI and automation have changed the job market.
Keep your retirement savings in the Employees Provident Fund (EPF)—known in Malay as Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja (KWSP). It is Malaysia's mandatory retirement savings scheme for private-sector employees and non-pensionable public sector employees. Let compound growth work in your favour over time.
Learn how to use AI responsibly. AI can help you build a side income, learn new skills, write better résumés, prepare for interviews, and even start a small business. But remember, AI is a tool—not a substitute for critical thinking. Always verify important information before acting on it.
Those are just eleven tips, but there are always more.
Ultimately, it is up to you—who you are, where you are in life, what you think, how you act (or choose not to act), how you respond to life's challenges, and how you want to live your life.
We were all born differently. That is the law of nature.
Not everyone will become rich or powerful. Everyone experiences suffering.
Make no mistake about that.
Be realistic. Search within yourself.
If you ever feel lost, practise the pause. Never, ever give up.
Never let anyone make you feel worthless or keep you down. You will fall—and you must, because that is how we learn. Just make sure you get back up.
Keep moving forward and never give up.
Cultivate loving-kindness towards others and, most importantly, towards yourself.
If you would like to learn more about self-awareness, mindfulness, and personal growth, you can get my eBook on Google Play Books here: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Patrick_Ho_Seng_HOW_NOT_TO_BE_AN_IDIOT_IN_LIFE?id=Kn70EQAAQBAJ





Comments